Saturday, June 25, 2011
I can't believe another school year is almost over. The lending of Library materials at Florence Meares is over for another school year so that we can complete inventory over the summer (Thanks Ms. Mills!!). We have had a great year thanks to our awesome students and fantastic parent volunteers.
To help our students continue to develop their reading skills over the summer Here's the FM Library Summer Reading Top Ten for 2011:
10. Visit your local Library. Our very own Burlington Public Library is open all summer long and running a summer reading program called "SPLASHport to Summer Fun". You can even place holds on items over the internet and have them delivered to our neighbourhood Tansley Woods Branch! For more information go to the Burlington Public Library website.
9. Listen to an audiobook. Some free titles are available here and you can also check out many more titles at the Burlington Public Library.
8. Try one of "Ms. Fink's Hot Summer Reads":
Mrs. Fink's Hot Summer Reads
Thanks Mrs. Fink!!!
7. Participate in the Florence Meares' "Summer Reading Challenge". Students from SK to Grade 2 will be given booklets to record the reading that they do each day. At the end of the summer, students bring their booklets back to school. For each complete page in their booklets, students will earn one charm.
6. Read a book online. There are lots of great websites to be found in the "Find A Book" section of "Library Links" here.
5. Visit a Library while on vacation. Many small community Libraries are open over the summer months and offer unique services like loaning of fishing equipment!
4. Download an ebook. A wide variety of ebooks are available from the Burlington Public Library website.
3. Exchange favourite books with a friend.
2. Explore new book possibilities with Novelist K-8 Plus. Email Mr. C for login information.
1. Visit BookFlix. This subscription is new to Florence Meares for 2011. Email Mr. C for @ home login information.
I hope everyone has a safe and fun summer. Take some time to relax and enjoy a few good books over the summer. I am looking forward to hearing of all your summer adventures in September!
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
The Skin I'm In is a great read about learnimg to accept different cultures and different people. The main character goes through many tough things like bullies, fitting in and helping her mom deal with the death of her father.It's a good book and I would recommend it.