Wednesday, June 17, 2015
We have had a fantastic school year in the FMLibrary this year.
It is always so exciting to see student's enthusiasm for visiting the Library and for reading. One of the highlights for me this year was our Junior and Senior Battle of the Books teams. Our Junior team, led by Mrs. Withers, Mrs. Wheaton and Mrs. Sabourin, placed 2nd out of 18 schools in Burlington this year. Our Senior team led by Mrs. Homewood and myself performed admirably and did a wonderful job of representing our school. Way to go teams!!
I would like to thank our many Library volunteers who showed up week after week: Mrs. Solomon, Mrs. Sohail, Mrs. Jarvis, Mrs. Varrasso, Mrs. Chorpitta, Mrs. Heimpel, and Mrs. Mowder. A big thank you also goes out Ms. Mills, our Library-Technician. Your help is greatly appreciated and you all make the FMLibrary the special place that it is.
Here's the FM Summer Reading Top Ten for 2015:
10. Listen to or read a book online this summer. Check out the HDSB and BPL's Overdrive catalogues.
There are also some great online resources in the "Find A Book" section of the FMLibrary website.
9. Sign out a video game or movie from your local Library. Did you know that the Burlington Public Library has many of the latest video games and movies available to borrow and stream?
8. Join the TD Summer Reading Club.
7. Pick a book from Ms. Fink's Hot Reads.
6. Visit a Library while you are on vacation this summer. Did you know that many small communities have their own Libraries like Bayfield, Ontario, Canada?
5. Buy a used book. Garage sales and flea markets are a great sources for inexpensive, high quality books.
4. Get together with 3 or 4 friends and trade some of your favourite books (thanks Mrs. Varrasso).
3. Gather books for an upcoming Book Swap. Did you know that the Telling Tales Festival has an amazing Book Swap? Plan to attend the Telling Tales Festival on Sunday, September 20th.
2. Attend one of the Burlington Public Library's Summer Programs.
1. Learn something new this summer. Get some books out about a new insect or animal that your didn't know about. Get some books out about a new hobby this summer.
Don't forget to read over the summer FM! The FMLibrary wishes everyone a safe, fun and restful summer and we'll see everyone in September :)